GUSTINE - Two people, including a 7-year-old child, died of injuries suffered in a car-versus-motorcycle accident Sunday afternoon south of Gustine, the California Highway Patrol reported.

Authorities identified the deceased as Norman Figueroa, 66, and Kaylee Figueroa, 7, both of Gustine.

Kaylee Figueroa was Norman Figueroa’s granddaughter, according to a GoFundMe page created by a family member.

She was a second-grade student at Gustine Elementary School, Principal Alma Romo confirmed.

Romo described Kaylee as a “sweet, caring girl with a sweet smile. She loved to learn, and always did her best.”

The principal said counseling resources are being made available to grieving students and staff.

The GoFundMe page described Norman Figueroa as “a wonderful family man who loved his family and his grandchildren were his world. Kaylee was a beautiful 7-year-old girl who was full of life, sweet as can be, and loved playing with her siblings and cousins.”

The accident happened shortly after 1:30 p.m.


The CHP reported that Norman Figueroa was riding a 1999 Kawasaki motorcycle northbound on Hunt Road with Kaylee Figueroa as a passenger when he attempted to make a u-turn at Gun Club Road. The CHP said Figueroa failed to yield to a northbound 2007 Acura which had been following the motorcycle, and the vehicles collided. 

The Acura, driven by Yolanda Vasquez, 39, of Gustine, continued onto the shoulder and struck a fence before coming to a stop.

The impact ejected both riders from the motorcycle, the CHP reported. 

Each was wearing a motorcycle helmet, the CHP said, but the girl’s helmet came off as she was ejected.

Norman Figueroa was pronounced dead at the scene, the CHP said. Kaylee Figueroa was transported to Los Banos Memorial Hospital and later transported to Valley Children’s Hospital in Madera, where she succumbed to her injuries, according to the CHP.

The CHP said Vasquez was transported to Mercy Hospital in Merced with major injuries.

The GoFundMe campaign, entitled “Help put Kaylee & Norman to Rest,” has a goal of raising $20,000. As of mid-afternoon Tuesday, more than $5,100 had been raised.