NEWMAN - A Saputo spokesperson recently confirmed that one of the security guards used through a third-party agency at its Newman plant tested positive for COVID-19 in March.

Sandy Vassiadis, Saputo’s vice president of communications and corporate responsibility, said that the company was informed of the positive test on March 31.

The individual was last on the premises in mid-March, she reported. She indicated last week that the individual is following the direction of healthcare providers and local health authorities and is receiving care/recovering at home.

Vassiadis said most employees do not have direct contact with the security guard. She said those who were understood to have had direct contact (within six feet of the individual) were instructed to contact their medical provider, whose direction was then followed.

Vassiadis said the company conducted a deep cleaning of the area shared by the individual and Saputo employees, including a thorough cleaning of all common areas such as restrooms, break areas and entrances, as well as thorough disinfection of touch points such as door handles, switches, counter tops, faucets and handrails.

“We know how unsettling the situation is for all. We have strict protocols in place to ensure each of us plays our part and respects the necessary safety measures,” Vassiadis commented. “We are all in this together, and our goal is to continue to provide a safe environment for all of our employees while we continue to produce the essential products families, consumers, customers and communities rely on.”