The Newman Fire Station responded to 10 calls during the week of Oct. 22 to Oct. 28. The calls included five for Emergency Medical Service, three commercial fire alarms, one motor vehicle collision and one vegetation fire.

At 5:07 p.m. on Oct. 22, the Newman Fire Station was dispatched for a commercial fire alarm on the 600 block of Inyo Avenue. On arrival, the fire crew found a one-story commercial building with nothing showing. Maintenance personal advised they had installed a new fire alarm system and turned off the old system causing the alarm to go off. They also reported no smoke or fire was present. The incident was a false alarm and no damage or injuries were reported. 

The Newman Fire Station was dispatched to a vegetation fire at Crows Landing Road and Highway 33 at 5:54 p.m. on Oct. 23. On arrival, fire crews found brush and debris burning along the canal bank. Crews quickly extinguished and soaked the burned area with water. The cause of the fire was undetermined. There were no reported damages or injuries at the time of the report. 

At 7:09 a.m. on Oct. 24, the Newman Fire Station was dispatched to a motor vehicle collision on Interstate 5 at Oak Flat Road. Fire crews found a single vehicle rollover down a 150-foot embankment with major damage. The occupant self-extricated and made their way to the Interstate prior to emergency response arrival and was discovered by a passing vehicle. The fire officer was on scene with EMS providing patient care and packaging. The fire crew assisted with loading the patient for immediate transport via ground ambulance. The estimated property damage was approximately $15,000. The occupant sustained major injuries and was transported to a local trauma center. The cause of the incident is under investigation by California Highway Patrol. 

The Newman Fire Station was dispatched to a commercial fire alarm in the 900 block of Hoyer Road at 7:09 a.m. on Oct. 25. On arrival, fire crews found an alarm sounding throughout the school and were met by a school custodian. The custodian stated the smoke alarm indicated a specific area of the school. Fire crews were led to the location and were unable to locate any signs of smoke or fire. Specialized imaging equipment was used to further investigate for heat signatures. Results were negative for the presence of heat. The alarm was reset and the system will be inspected by a service professional.