The Stanislaus District Attorney’s Office is asking the public to speak out against the potential parole of a Modesto man who took part in a murder-robbery of a Modesto couple in 1979. Twenty-three hours before the double homicide the suspect and his accomplices robbed and severely beat a Newman man.

Ronald Ray Anderson, 60, was found suitable for parole during a hearing of  the  State  Board  of  Parole  Hearings  held  at  the  Correctional  Training  Facility  in  Soledad on Dec. 28.

The  Board’s  decision  to  grant  parole  advances  to  the  Decision  Review  Unit  of  the  Board  of  Parole  Hearings which will have 120 days to review the grant of parole.  If the Decision Review Unit approves the grant of parole, Governor Newsom will receive notice of the parole grant and has 30 days to reverse, modify, refer to the full Board sitting en banc, or let the grant of parole stand.

On June 24, 1979, Anderson and his crime partners -  Marty Jackson (aka Marty Spears), Jeffrey Maria and Darren Lee - robbed and assaulted a caretaker of a home in Newman.  Anderson and his crime partners told the caretaker, Leonard Luna, that they had run out of gas.  Once inside the house, they hogtied Luna and beat him in the head with a revolver.  The  group  proceeded  to  ransack  the  home,  stealing  multiple  guns  and  weapons, which Anderson and his crime partners used in a double homicide the next day.

In previous parole hearings, Anderson had admitted it was his idea to hogtie Luna, but he denied it at the most recent hearing.

On June 25, 1979, Anderson and the others carried out a home invasion robbery at the home of Phillip and Kathryn Ranzo because they believed large amounts of cash were kept inside the home.  In preparation for the robbery, Anderson drove by the Ranzo home  as  many  as  five  times, according to the district attorney’s office. 

The  plan  was  for  Anderson  to  stay  in  the  car  while  his  crime  partners  knocked on the door of the Ranzo home and pretend to be out of gas and ask to use the telephone.  While Anderson acted as a lookout, his crime partners left the car armed with weapons, rope to tie up the Ranzos, and spoke of an intent to kill the Ranzos.

Approximately 20 minutes after entering the home, Maria and Lee returned to the car in a hurry with envelopes full of cash and jewelry. Anderson admitted at a previous parole hearing that he believed that Maria and Lee saw Phillip Ranzo get murdered. Without seeking aid for the Ranzos, Anderson drove Maria and Lee to safety and  then  returned  to  the  Ranzo  home  to  get  Jackson.    

“Despite  inconsistencies  in  his  story,  some  trial  testimony indicating he saw what happened inside the Ranzo home, and an unexplained gap in time of over 60 minutes, Anderson maintains that he never went into the Ranzo home,” the district attorney’s office said in a news release.

The following day the bodies of the couple were found in their home. Both had been hogtied.  Phillip Ranzo was found dead on the floor of the garage.  He had been beaten over the head with a blunt instrument at least six times and suffered a fatal stab wound to the neck.  Kathryn Ranzo was found in the bathroom of the house.  She had been struck multiple times in the head with an axe.  There were signs she had been tortured with multiple cuts to her eyes and face. She had been sexually assaulted and suffered a fatal stab wound to the throat.  The house had been ransacked, with cash, jewelry and a gun missing.  The murders orphaned their 10-year-old child, Mark, who happened to have spent that night at his grandparents’ house.

Pre-trial publicity caused the trial to be moved to Alameda County on a change of venue.  In 1979, an Alameda County Superior Court jury convicted Anderson of the murders and he was sentenced to serve life in prison.   

At the parole hearing, Deputy District Attorney Elliot Neumann urged the Board not to release Anderson for the safety of the community and given the heinous nature of his crimes. She argued that he needed additional insight into the role he played in the killings, lacked sufficient parole plans,  and had lied to the Board about his involvement in the crime.

Surviving  members  of  the  victims’  family also  attended  the  hearing  and  asked  the  Board  to  deny  Anderson’s parole, telling the Board they feared for their safety if Anderson is released, and explaining the heartache they have endured.  The family has attended 29 parole board hearings for Anderson and his crime partners.   

After  deliberations,  the  Board  determined  that  Anderson  qualified  for  both  “elderly  parole”  and “youthful offender” considerations, and that he did not pose a risk to public safety. In granting parole, the Board acknowledged that Anderson had lied under oath to them in the hearing but felt that the lie did not rise to the level of justifying a denial of parole.  

This was Anderson’s 11th parole hearing.  He was previously denied parole in 1993, 1994, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2016, and 2019.  Anderson was granted parole in December 2017, but that decision was reversed by Governor Jerry Brown in 2018.  In 2021, Anderson challenged   his murder convictions under  newly  created  Penal  Code  §1170.95 which  modifies  the  state’s  “felony  murder”  rule.   His  challenge  was  denied.   The  Judge  who  handled  that  motion  determined  that  Anderson  was  a  major  participant in the murders as well as an aider and abettor who shared the same intent to kill as his co-defendants.

Members of the community who wish to comment on Anderson’s potential parole release are encouraged to contact:  Governor Gavin Newsom 1021 O Street, Suite 9000, Sacramento, CA 95814; Phone (916) 445-2841 Fax: (916) 558-3160; https://govapps.gov.ca.gov/gov40mail.

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, Board of Parole Hearings P.O. Box 4036, Sacramento, CA  95812-4036 ATTENTION: LEGAL UNIT.