Photo: Newman House Fire

Kyle Souza/Mattos Newspapers

A Monday evening fire heavily damaged a residence in the 3000 block of Shiells Road, officials reported. Fire/Division Chief Keith Bowen said responding personnel arrived to find a double-wide modular style home heavily involved in flames and adjacent structures threatened. The cause was determined to be a paper plate that caught fire inside a microwave, Bowen said. He said there was heavy fire damage to the center of the home where the kitchen was located, and heat and smoke damage throughout. Newman/West Stanislaus Fire Protection District firefighters were assisted by Merced County Fire Department, and Mountain View as a cover unit. Bowen said a total of 20 personnel responded. A Stanislaus County fire investigator, Pacific Gas & Electric Co. and West Side Community Ambulance also responded. The damage was estimated at $150,000. Bowen said one resident was displaced and no injuries were reported.